Sunday, April 11, 2010

SEA SLUGS!

Good evening,

I have something very important, something of which I must inform you.

It concerns pelagic sea slugs.

I came across these little beauties while plodding around in Google Images last Sunday:



This little sucker is known as Glaucus atlanticus. It grows 5 to 8 centimeters in length and can be found in East and South Coast of South Africa, European waters and Mozambique. It floats upside down on the surface tension of water. Those finger-like structures you see, called cerata, store the nematocysts this slug collects from eating the much larger Portuguese Man o' War. It therefore has a sting much more highly concentrated than any bath you could take in a colony of siphonophores. (I totally just learned that the Man o' War is not, in fact, a jellyfish.)

Not only are these things beautiful, but are extraordinarily deadly. Who would expect that from something so small in size? I find this to be incredibly fascinating.

In other news, I have officially started off my blog with the dose of images I prefer.

Yesterday I was cleaning my room. (I excitedly pretended to be an archaeologist.) Because of all the random drawings I found strewn about the room's floor, my room has officially become a walk-in art gallery.

It's a weird feeling. I had practically carpeted my room with random sketches, and now all I see is the boring hardwood floor underneath. And it's dusty. I'm not entirely sure I'm appreciative of the look, but at least I can walk. And I was getting claustrophobia. You could call me a hoarder, but only one that every once in a while has to click the File>New button only because I'm tired of working with the crappy mess I've compiled over a period of time. (The metaphor is also used to subtley describe the patience I have with writing essays on my computer.)

Now, I'm not going to say I'm an awesome artist, but I thought I would leave this post with some of the images I found on my floor that my friends probably remember.

Ohhh, the memories.

- Celka





No comments:

Post a Comment